crazy legs: the blog

Monday, July 10, 2006

When I Was a Kid: Mr Yuk


Anybody out there remember Mr. Yuk? In case you don't, here's what you need to know: Mr. Yuk is mean, and Mr. Yuk is green.

I don't remember if we actually had these stickers in our house, but boy, do I remember this particular Poison Control PSA. It was all over Saturday morning and after-school programming, and proceeded to scare the daylights out of any kid who went rooting under their kitchen sink looking for something to eat.
I doubt very much that a scary but effective spot like this would even be allowed on TV today. Just because it kept me from swallowing Drano doesn't mean parents groups want their youngsters waking up with nightmares about an ugly green floating face backed by creepy synth/boogieman music.

Oh well, still, kind of a fun find on YouTube.

3 Comments:

  • As the mother of that scared to death youngster in Pittsburgh, I don't think that that so-called scary faced label would even effect today's youngsters. With all the violent video games out there Mr. Yuk is nothing. I'm glad it made have worked because if it hadn't the editor of this foolishness would have gotten into some Drano and wouldn't be here to express such a half-brained agrument against Mr.Yuk
    Mom W

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM  

  • I'm not arguing against the commercial or the concept, just making a statement that I doubt such a thing would see the light of day on Saturday morning programming. I was referring specifically to the scariness of the video itself, not the sticker. Did you watch the video?

    And why do I feel attacked? All I did was post a video of a commercial I remember from my youth.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 5:05 PM  

  • Yes, I did watch it this time and multiple times. What about the Transformer cartoons on TV or some of the other scary stuff for kids older than 22 months??? It was the commercial I was referring too. Have you the opportunity to see any of the New "Hang Tough" PSAs students are producing about drug use? Pretty vivid!!!!! So be prepared for some really scary stuff for Colin to see. I'm not attacking you, just letting you know that at the time that commercial was made IT wasn't considered that scary. Are today's youth that sensitive of just maybe overly protected? Just a question. Life is a scary situation we all find ourselves in at times.
    Mom W

    Uncle Scott, if you think moldy Cheddar is scary you should try some old Gouda or Parmesan. Now those who scare the fur off of a Peach!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home