crazy legs: the blog

Friday, January 07, 2005

This would be wonderful

Reported recently in JAMA (or the Journal of the American Medical Association) for those of us not in the "biz"....

A simple urine test may be able to detect preeclampsia. (Link via Blogging Baby.) It affects 5 to 8 percent of all pregnant women (including Heidi), and as we know, causes high blood pressure, swelling, sudden weight gain, and many other symptoms. It is also the leading cause of maternal and fetal death in the U.S.

While I'd like to be selfish and say that we could have used this a year ago, I know there are several other new parents out there struggling with the condition.

The mother of extremely premature twins, including the smallest baby ever to survive (at 8.6 ozs!), suffered from severe preeclampsia which endangered all of their lives.

Also, my vendor and bud Terri C. is currently on bedrest because of Pre-E. She is scheduled for a Caesarean-section delivery of her first child next Thursday, about a week before her due date. Our thoughts are with her.

Anywho, 5 to 8 percent of all moms-to-be is still pretty significant, and I'm crossing my fingers for testing to continue, and eventually to be put into practice. It would prepare expecting parents for what lies ahead. And if doctors can detect preeclampsia, steps can be taken to further treat it, or ultimately prevent it.

Which would be A-number-one cool.

2 Comments:

  • I also hear of this newest development for Pre-E. I wish it wa available before now because Patrick you might have been an uncle to a niece named Madison. Skip and Roseanne lost a baby girl and Rosyanne almost died from a strokebecause of Pre-E. I'm sure with the excellent supervise of her Docs, Terri and Baby will be just fine. I hope they make is available soon!
    MomW

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • You're right. When I was writing this entry, I completely forgot to mention my aunt, who was a great help to us, because she could relate her battles with Pre-E.

    She and my uncle did give birth to my cousin, Micah, and they are all doing fine.

    By Blogger Patrick, at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home